Lidl will host the grand opening of its new food market in Oakdale on Wednesday, Oct. 28.
The new store, Lidl’s eighth on Long Island, promises to donate 50 cents to the John Theissen Children’s Foundation for every new myLidl member who sets Oakdale as their home store.
Lidl replaces the Best Market that closed months ago at 4560 Sunrise Highway.
While noting that the U.S. EPA has recognized Lidl stores for their environmentally-friendly designs, Lidl officials said shoppers will enjoy a newly renovated store with easy-to-shop layouts.
Other highlights include:
- Hundreds of organic and gluten free products.
- A fresh bakery located near the store’s entrance.
- The majority of the products in the store are sourced in the U.S.
- European specialty items, including hard-to-find cheeses, authentic specialty sauces and cured meats.
- A rotating non-food selection that includes fitness gear, small kitchen appliances, toys and outdoor furniture.
Lidl also takes care of its employees. All workers, regardless of the number of hours they work per week, are offered comprehensive medical benefits, the company said in a statement. The hourly wage for workers starts at $15.
“I am inspired that Lidl is coming to Oakdale,” said Islip Town Supervisor Angie Carpenter, who is expected to participate in a 7:40 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Oct. 28 grand opening.
“The opening of another Lidl Supermarket signals that even in these challenging times, the Town of Islip continues to move forward.”
Lidl in its statement said the chain’s top priority is the health and safety of its customers and workers.
Shoppers at the grand opening can participate in the following offers:
- The first 100 customers will receive special gift cards, ranging in value from $5 to $100 each.
- A selfie social media competition outside of the store for a chance to win a $250 prize.
- A Lidl food truck with snack and juice samples.