The calendar says it’s over, but summer in Sayville isn’t officially in the books until the annual ‘An Evening in Margaritaville’ concert has played in town.
The popular free show featuring one of Long Island’s premier Jimmy Buffet cover groups, the Ed Travers Band, is this Saturday, Sept. 28, in Gillette Park. Thousands of Parrotheads and other music lovers attend the event, which is sponsored by the Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce.
Here’s what else you need to know about the big show:
• The music starts playing at 6 p.m., and the party goes to 9 p.m.
• Guests are encouraged to bring the whole family and to dress festive. Basically that means show up in grass skirts and Bermuda shirts.
• Bring a comfortable beach chair and blanket.
• Gillette Park is located at 24 Collins Ave. in Sayville.
• The rain date is Sunday. Sept. 29.
Here’s some interesting facts about margaritas:
• The margarita is the best-selling cocktail across the U.S. in 2019. It is the eighth best-selling mixed drink in the world.
• The next National Margarita Day is Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020.
• The first frozen margarita machine was invented by a high school drop-out named Mariano Martinez in 1971.
• Margarita means “daisy” in Spanish.
• On average, Americans consume 185,000 margaritas an hour. Yikes!