Former Sayville High School stud quarterback Jack Coan kicks off his first season tonight as the starting QB for Wisconsin.
The Badgers, ranked No. 19 in the preseason AP poll, take on South Florida at 7 p.m. at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. Coan, a junior and a 2017 Sayville graduate, earned the start after facing stiff competition in camp from two freshmen.
Here’s what else you need to know for Coan’s big game tonight:
• South Florida ranked 45th in the nation last year in pass defense, giving up 212 yards per game in the air. Read how Wisconsin is looking to put more air in its offense this season.
• Coan completed 60 percent of his passes and threw for 515 yards in his five starts last season.
• Wisconsin finished 8-5 last season, defeating Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl in New York. Coan was the Badgers’ starting quarterback in the bowl game.
• Wisconsin and South Florida have played just once before. In 2010, the Badgers won 27-10.
• South Florida finished last year 7-6, dropping the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl to Marshall.
• Sporting News predicts that Wisconsin will win the Big Ten West division.
• Coan has a chance to guide Wisconsin to its first-ever national championship.
• After South Florida, the schedule ahead for Wisconsin includes Big Ten East rivals Michigan on Sept. 21, Ohio State on Oct. 26 and Michigan State on Oct 12.
• Coan’s high school coach, Rob Hoss, is pumped for tonight’s game.
• And so is his dad.